Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wow...has it really been 15 days!!

I can't believe that it has been half a month since I have posted anything.
I just wanted to let everyone know I went to my doctor's Jan 12th and my surgery is going to be Jan 27th. I am not sure of the time...they call you the day before and let you know. I went yesterday to have my pre-op appointment where they will do blood work, work-up and an EKG on my heart. My recovery time is going to be about 6 weeks. It is similar to my gallbladder surgery: I will have 4 incisions, however one of the incisions will be bigger and if my spleen is too enlarged then they may possibly have to open me up to get it out. But I am hoping not. I really like the doctor and he took a lot of time to explain everything in depth. The reason why I am loosing so many blood cells is with the sphereocytosis my blood cells are sphere shaped which that means to my body it's a foreign substance. So my spleen thinks it's an infection, thus killing them off. The doctor also informed me that our medical bills will go up. After having my spleen removed if I get sick regardless of it just being a cold...I have to go in and see the doctor. Any type of illness untreated could, if not taken care of...well be deadly. I have to get the flu and pnemonia shot every year...this is mandatory. With the surgery like many there are risks...but this one has the possibility of bleeding if a little slip happens. He could tell that I am getting anemic again...and he doesn't want me to have to have another transfusion. I have been getting very fatigued lately...I just can't seem to get enough sleep. My heart was at an accelerated pace which is normal with anemia. So right now I am just hoping that everything stays positive and we get this sucker out with no transfusion before and that everything goes ok.

The past two weekends have not been the best. The weekend before this past one both Skyler and I were sick. And then just last Thursday Kaylee got sick...so between Thrusday night and Sunday morning I had a combined total of 13 hours of sleep, which doesn't help with me being tired anyways. Kaylee still has a cough...but it is getting better. I had the cough for about 3 weeks and finally just last week got rid of it totally. David has picked up a part time job. We will see how it goes. Oh yeah...I think we will have another offical potty trained kiddo on our hands. She went all day today without an accident and was wearing underwear. I have to tell you I sure hope so...because diapers are just too expensive. I am just hoping that in three months she will be potty trained all the way before her 3rd Birthday!

Monday evening I went for parent teacher conferences at Skyler's school and he is doing great. It is so funny that he is just like night and day. He is the prized student at school. Listens, cleans up and so forth. But when he is at home watch out! I have to say that I am very proud of him! There are some things we need to work on with him...but mostly he is doing above average.

David is trying to get off for my surgery and hopefully he will. I won't be able to do anything with the kids, so someone will have to be with them at all times. So we will see.

No comments: